Sunday 14 February 2016

Reginald Elsworth "Polly" Parrott

I've always felt closer to Reginald Elsworth Parrott than "Laddie" Millen because I have a photo of him standing, living, with my grandfather in November 1915. He, especially, looks young and gentle, and anything but a soldier.



He died on March 5, 1916, after being buried alive when a German retaliatory bombardment collapsed the parapet. He was 20. My son just turned 21.

Here's a picture of my grandfather visiting Parrott's grave in the summer of 1922. "Laddie" Millen's grave is next to it, to the right and outside the frame.



In 2006 I was there with my son, then aged 11. 



My sister-in-law has been since. I also have a small vial of earth from his grave that I've been sprinkling at opportune moments in such places as the War Memorial in Ottawa and on a movie set where I was an extra in a trench a few years ago. By these small acts we try to remember those who might be forgotten. 

Are there any Parrott relatives out there? Contact me. Reginald Parrott was the son of John Parrott, Mayor of Saltcoats, Saskatchewan.




No comments:

Post a Comment